pregnancy

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Little Man Parts

Dear Soybean,

Blahhhhh, I am not feeling so hot.  In fact, I haven't been feeling great all this past week, so no working out.  Sorry Soybean, I will try to get back on track soon.  It's just all this nausea....  and yet I get hungry... AND tired AND grumpy  ALL at the same time.  Yuck!   Nothing sounds good to my queasy stomach except a loaf of french bread.  I believe your daddy is going to come to my rescue.  I asked him to stop by Kroger's on his way home from visiting your grandpappy Nall in the hospital.  OH, he just called and he's going to grab some ginger tea as well.  Oooooo, I so hope I can start feeling better.  It's not like I'm hugging a toilet or anything, but just the nagging nausea that just hangs on....and on... and goes away... and then sneaks back up on me.

Anyway, I was reading about your development this week and it says if you end up being a boy, that your little man parts are just starting to develop this week.    Brings up the whole question of whether to clip or not.  Circumcision, I mean.  It's not like you hear men verbalizing how they feel about being circumcised or not so it's one of those things I wish I had your input on.  But should you want to be circumcised, I would imagine you'd thank us for doing it shortly after birth when you won't remember anything about the pain. 

Biblically, the New Testament makes it very clear that spiritual circumcision--the act of having a sensitive heart to God's leading-- is the only thing that matters and that physical circumcision is no longer required or even preferred over non-circumcision.  I don't know, just the idea of cutting something that God makes whole and perfect to begin with makes me a tad uneasy.  I mean, I didn't get any of my dogs's ears or tails clipped--I thought it a bit cruel and unnatural to do so.  And you don't see anyone in the Western Hemisphere circumcising girls--it is thought to be a crime--a disfiguring act.    And yet, if we go back to the whole pet-reasoning, I did get them spaded-- so where do you draw the line?   If we had been an Old-Testament Jewish family, I would probably think it a beautifully symbolic ritual, but we're not.  Some people will bring up that circumcision cleanliness issue; anti-circumcision people say circumcision cuts down on "sensation"... (oh, i hope your 40 before you have any idea of what I'm talking about, haha) but online there seems to be proof and surveys that seem to debunk arguments on both sides.  So I don't know...

Being honest with myself, you probably will get circumcised, just because of tradition's sake and family expectations.   And since most of your friends will probably be circumcised too (thanks to our nation's Judeo-Christian background), I don't think you'll hold it against us really.  Just want you to know I have thought about it (you may never give it a second thought), had some misgivings, and simply wanted the best for you. 

Ha!  but maybe you're a girl and this whole little back-and-forth was for nothing  :-)   *Heaves sigh of relief*

And, no, your room is not ready yet.... not even close.  Not even touched yet.   EEEeek!  But it will be ready by the time you get here, promise!

Goodnight my little one.

~A.

1 comment:

  1. "It's not like you hear men verbalizing how they feel about being circumcised or not ..."

    I wish I hadn't been circumcised as an infant. My parents took my choice from me, and I resent them for doing so.

    ReplyDelete