pregnancy

Friday, September 16, 2011

Chewing One's Way Out

Dear baby girl,

I am so uncomfortable... I swear you are trying to chew your way out underneath my ribs on the right side.  As you can't possibly have teeth yet, maybe your doing your best to gum your way out.  I had always thought pregnant women rested a hand on top of their bellies because it was a "cutesy" thing to do and it kinda got on my nerves but now I'm more of the opinion that they do that to put a little extra weight on the belly to push, or rather "encourage" the baby to sit lower. 

HEY!... your room is done!  okay, not done done, but painted!! All the furniture you Grandpa Scheffler bought for you has arrived and is sitting in boxes ready to be put together.  The changing table parts have already made their way to the floor of your room.  Your daddy says he'll start putting it all together tomorrow.  :-)  With the paint done, it already looks so much better than it did before.  It had been bland, boring--not at all you.  It's going to look great.

Monday we had our first night of prepared childbirth education.  I think your daddy really liked it, which was really good because it seems like most of the material is for the support person since the preggo's job is pretty obvious.  I was a bit tired as I didn't have a chance to eat before I went.  Believe me, I helped myself to the offered snacks at halftime.  I think I had four graham crackers packets and an apple juice cup.  Next week's session may prove to be the most helpful as it gets down to the mechanics of pain management, including positioning, "mindful" techniques, and pressure points.  The instructor had the couples in the group introduce themselves, tell what the gender of their unborn baby is, why they came, and their due date.  She started with us, stating we "looked friendly."  We had a good chuckle at that.  Come to find out, the vast majority of the couples are expecting girls.  There was only one couple that are expecting a boy and one couple that will be leaving it for a surprise due to their culture (Indian).  We were the couple with the soonest due date.  We had everyone else beat by at least two weeks. Yes, I guess that proves we are procrastinators.  If you come on your due date (which only 5% of babies do), the information will only be a week old--so pretty fresh  :-)  I was surprised that I had the uncontestably smallest belly of the women, especially since I was the farthest along.  I guess I should feel pretty good about it (people say I should bounce right back to my pre-baby weight), but I found myself having the urge to poof out my belly a bit as if to assert "I'm pregnant too!"  haha. 

Wednesday my coworker Becca hosted one heck of a shower for you--coworkers, some current and some former, showed up.  I was really touched with how much time, effort, and money she put into it.  I wasn't expecting anything nearly so like a real shower.  I had thought it'd be more like a a simple social hour where we got together to eat and opened some gifts as an afterthought of sorts. She had a huge cake, balloon bouquet, little pacifier necklaces for the "don't say the word baby" game, paper and pencil for a baby word scramble game (in which I was the proud winner of a Subway gift card), etc.  Our friends Liz and Dezryn showed up too.  It was amusing to find out that Dezryn prefers Liz's left side whereas you prefer my right.











Sunday will be the last of the showers and it promises to be perhaps the biggest.  It's going to be fun.  Some of your daddy's family from Henderson are coming down.  You are quite the star! 

I've found the perfect photographer!  Yep, Subrina will be coming out a week from Sunday to take the maternity pictures and she'll be coming out on/around Oct 14th for your newborn pics as well.  I don't know her personally but she was recommended by Jessica Matthews and after checking out Subrina's portfolio, I couldn't be more excited. 
Love ya baby doll,

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment